Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Entecho’s Hoverpod


I remember watching an episode of Mythbusters where they were discussing the possibility of hovering technology. Apparently, Adam and Jamie had grown up seeing the same ads on the back covers of comic books that promised an “Air Car”, and I remember these ones too.

The Mythbusters then challenged each other to a race with hovering vehicles that they built on their own. They were able to get them to hover, but getting any forward motion on them proved problematic.

It would appear that Australian company Entecho has figured out an application for hover technology. This fan-forced flying saucer could start a serious transportation revolution as the huge blades spin to give it lift, and the skirt around it gives it directional manipulation.

The hoverpod is capable of speeds of 120 km per hour, with a range of 3 km. I’m not certain what that means, but I believe that it can hover up to 1.5 meters off the ground. This hoverpod can hold about three passengers, and it is quite safe as no blades are exposed.

Sadly, this vehicle is still under development, and has been for the past several years. I hope it comes out soon. I mean, we may be nowhere near that futuristic age of flying cars any time soon, but I would imagine that hovering cars is a necessary step.

Source

No comments: