Image by louisvolant via FlickrWe last reported on the HTC Hero firmware upgrades a few weeks ago, and were quite excited with what they added albeit they may be few. To download the ROM upgrade you need to input your serial number on this site. Then follow the instructions below:
Before you proceed the ROM Update Utility (RUU), please confirm the following items:
(1) This software upgrade is a newer version than what is currently installed on your phone. If it is the same version and your phone is operating normally, there is no need to reinstall the software.
To check what version is installed on your phone, press Home > Menu > Settings > About phone > Build number, and note the Build number.
(2) HTC Sync has been installed on your PC. HTC Sync can be found on the MicroSD card that was shipped with your phone. You can also download and install HTC Sync at www.htc.com/www/support/
(3) Your phone is connected to your PC using a USB cable. The PC must recognize your phone.You will see a sync icon HTC Sync Icon.bmp in the taskbar once the phone has been connected.
(4) Standby and hibernation mode on your PC has been disabled.
(5) Close all running applications on the PC.
(6) The Screen unlock pattern has been disabled, press Home > Menu > Settings > Security and uncheck Require pattern
(7) Make sure that the battery level of the phone is at least 30% (at least 3 green blocks). To check the battery level, tap Home > Menu > Settings > About phone > Status > Battery level.
(8) Once the RUU is downloaded, launch the application on your PC and follow the instructions on screen.
Seems easy, but you need to know that your phone will be totally wiped clean of previous data including software and settings coming from your mobile company. If you want to keep them though you better call your mobile phone customer service before doing the upgrades.